Before 1971, Catholics in the Pakuranga area were cared for by Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish, Howick, and the Parish of St Patrick’s Panmure. Both of these parishes were established when the Fencible settlements of Howick, Panmure, Otahuhu and Onehunga were set up in the late 1840s.
In 1848 St Patrick’s Parish in Panmure was inaugurated. It became evident in the 1960s that another parish was necessary in the Pakuranga area to meet the needs of a rapidly expanding suburb.
The diocese purchased a farm property on the Pakuranga Highway in 1965 from the local dentist Dr Mangos. In March 1971 Fr Ray Green was appointed as the Parish Priest for Pakuranga. For the first 12 months Fr Green resided in the Panmure presbytery, celebrating Sunday Mass at Edgewater College and daily Masses at the Panmure Convent.
As the Parish identity grew so did awareness of the need for a daily Mass Centre. The “cowshed” on the property behind where the Church now stands was lined, renovated and turned into a warm and welcoming chapel. It became the venue for weekday and Sunday early morning and evening Masses.
Well aware of the rate of growth of the parish, diocesan authorities agreed with the need for a church. Finally after years of planning and fundraising and months of construction our new Church was opened and blessed by Bishop John Mackey on 24 November 1974.